The Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test grants entry to the medicine and related courses (dentistry, optometry etc.) in universities of Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. Conducted by ACER, the examination is open to international students from any stream. The candidate must at least have crossed the higher secondary level of education from his/her respective institution.
For most candidates, UMAT comes across as an Everest of riddles and puzzles. However, it is important to remember that strenuous though it may be, UMAT is in no way unconquerable. The right preparation and huge amount of hard work is bound to see you through, if not in the first, then in the second or third attempt. This is where we come in.
PrepGenie is dedicated to help the UMAT aspirants realize their dream of joining the medical profession. Our test prep tools are exhaustive, user friendly as well as to-the-point. Our experts will guide you over each hurdle in the way to a medical university.
But before we take you through a guided tour of PrepGenie and UMAT, here’s a word of advice. UMAT may look scary, but let that not deter you from getting a personal insight into the structure. Work hard and nothing can stop you from making it. Above all, be confident. Before you open your books, convince yourself that you can do it.
UMAT Exam: What to Expect
It is a 3 hour test consisting of 134 questions and there are no rest breaks.
The UMAT paper consists of three contructs:
- Logical Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Understanding People
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
Unlike previous years, the test is no longer divided into three separately timed sections.
The UMAT exam paper is very little about knowledge in your specific stream of study, or medicine, for that matter. It is more a test of your understanding, reasoning and logical abilities. It is also a test of how well you can understand people, quintessential in those who attempt to heal. So expect a bunch of tricky multiple-choice questions with options that look the same, consisting of loads of tables, graphs and charts. Your understanding of the human psychology will also be put to test in the second section of the paper in the form of case studies of various illnesses.
The UMAT is also a lot about time management. You may be able to solve the entire paper at your own pace, but that just might not match the UMAT speed. So make sure to time yourself when you solve the practice papers.
A great idea would be to simulate exam conditions while preparing for the UMAT. PrepGenie is a priceless help just here: our papers are exactly of the UMAT mould, and our O.M.R sheets give you the real feel of the exam. Solve the sectionals and the full length papers separately, that will give you an idea of how much time you need in each section and the whole test. Set yourself the exact time that you will be given in the examination; it will improve your speed a great deal.
Post UMAT: Studying Medicine
Clearing the UMAT is only the first step in the procedure of gaining a seat in med schools. The next step, that is, the face-to-face interview, is no less strenuous. Once you clear the examination, you will be eligible to apply in the University of your choice and sit for an interview. Your admission to a university is subject to your UMAT score as well as your performance in the interview. So, your choice of universities should be a wise one. If this is your second attempt in a row, apply with the better score.
Given below is a list of all the schools that accept UMAT scores:
- University of Adelaide (Medicine, Dental Surgery/Oral Health)
- Flinders University (Clinical Sciences/BMBS, Vision Sciences)
- University of Newcastle/New England (Joint Medical Program)
- University of New South Wales (Medicine, Optometry)
- University of Western Sydney (Medicine)
- Bond University (Medicine)
- University of Queensland (Medicine: Year 12 conditional entry, Dental Science)
- Monash University (Medicine, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy)
- University of Melbourne (Oral Health: Therapy or Hygiene)
- La Trobe University (Oral Health Science, Health Sciences: Dentistry)
- University of Tasmania (Medicine)
- University of Western Australia (Medicine: Undergraduate-entry program only, Dental Science)
- University of Auckland (Medicine)
- University of Otago (Medicine, Dental Surgery, Physiotherapy, Medical Laboratory Science)
Do note that each school has its own criteria for admitting students, and an interview call will depend upon that. You will be admitted only if you meet those criteria.
UMAT Test Centres
There are test centres in almost every major city in Australia. Centres are also located in the United States of America as well as in Singapore.
UMAT is generally held in the following locations.
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
- Alice Springs
- Gold Coast
United States of America
- Washington DC
Note that the centres may vary from time to time. Also, there are likely to be multiple venues in each test centre. Usually, you will be assigned your chosen test centre, but in case there are multiple test centres, you will automatically be assigned one of the venues, which will NOT be changed upon request. The details of the venue will be given in your admission ticket itself, which will be emailed to you two weeks prior to the examination.
Did You Know ? Some UMAT Facts
- Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) is held by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER).
- Exams are held on behalf of the UMAT Consortium Ltd., a group of some of the most prestigious universities in Australia and New Zealand.
- From 2013 onwards, UMAT will no longer be divided into three separate sections. It will be a 3 hour long test with no rest breaks.
- All candidates will be given 10 minutes reading time at the beginning of the test.
- The scores will be still provided in 4 parts: scores of each of the three constructs and the overall score.
- From UMAT 2013 onwards, the overall score will be reported as an aggregate instead of an average.
- UMAT scores are used for entry in the medicine, dentistry and health science degree programs at the undergraduate level.
- Students from all over the world are eligible to sit for the examination.
- Candidates have to register via the ACER website: http://umat.acer.edu.au.
- The results of the test are declared by ACER in late September, following which candidates can start applying for the various universities.
- Each university has different criteria for admitting students in the various courses. Information will be available in the respective websites.
- A candidate can sit UMAT n number of times. A UMAT score is valid for one year.
- Candidates from any and every stream can sit the UMAT.
- Year 11 students or students completing Year 12 over two years are NOT permitted to sit UMAT.
- UMAT test centres are allotted in each of the capital cities in Australia and also some cities in New Zealand, USA, UK and Singapore.
Important Dates for UMAT 2014
Registration open: Early December 2013
Registration close: 5.00 p.m. AEST, 6 June 2014
Sit UMAT: 30 July 2014
Results released: Late September 2014
Prep time will pass away in a flash, and the big day will arrive before you can say ‘UMAT’. Students are likely to remain nervous and the atmosphere will be charged with tension, so here are some tips for D-Day. Firstly, arrive at the test centre early. At least, set out early, so that you have enough time to tackle the traffic and still find the test centre before the scheduled hour. Make sure that you reach at or before the time stated in the admission ticket; else your candidature will be cancelled. There is no fixed time as to when the test will start; it commences as soon as the pre-testing procedures are completed. You should allow between 4 and 5 hours from the time of reporting to the test centre for all testing procedures to be completed. This time may be shorter in country centres with smaller candidate numbers.
Do not forget to carry all the appropriate identification documents along with you. Otherwise you will not be permitted to take the test. Student ID cards are NOT accepted as appropriate photo identification. Check out the official website for more information on the acceptable documents. And do check your mail carefully for all details about stuff that you can or cannot carry to the exam centre with you. Rules at UMAT are stringent, and one toe out of line may result in cancellation of candidature. Refer to the ACER official website for further details.