Worries about GAMSAT preparation books are a part of every aspirant’s preparation. So don’t panic, you are not the only one. The first thing you must do is refer to the GAMSAT material given in ACER’s books. When you are specifically dealing with Section I on humanities and section II on written communication you might need some reference GAMSAT books to help you comprehend and write better for these two sections.
The preparation for these sections definitely starts with honing reading skills, and that would require reading material. Before going too far to find relevant GAMSAT books and reading materials, just start with the daily newspaper. You can pick any newspaper that you are comfortable reading, for example, the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian, or the New York Times. Reading newspaper articles will help you make sense out of the cartoons and illustrations that might be part of the GAMSAT section I.
So look beyond just the text books and reading material. Look around you for information and not just the GAMSAT books to improve your knowledge. If there are terms that you do not understand, like a word or a phrase, do not skip it. Look for it in the dictionary or thesaurus.
GAMSAT Books for Reference:
Here are some books that can be useful while preparing for these sections:
- Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading – by Tanny McGregor
- Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day – by Elizabeth L. Chesla
- Learn To Speed Read – by Kris Madden
- The Oxford Book of English Verse
- How to Write Better Essays (Palgrave Study Skills)
- Word Power Made Easy – by Norman Lewis
- Webster’s New Explorer Vocabulary Skill Builder
- Build Your Vocabulary Skills: A Quick and Easy Method – by John LaCarna
- 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary – by Norman Lewis
- 100 Ways To Improve Your Writing – by Gary Provost
A book with comic sketches written by Gary Larson can help you in understanding cartoons. It is a good practice book for cartoons and illustration based questions. Also read books that have content related to the history of Australia and politics of the world. Your reading should range across different types of topics and themes when you are preparing for your essay. These GAMSAT preparation materials will give you a lot of input but a considerable portion of information has to come from sources and information floating around you which one often tends to ignore. So start reading it all! Get! Set! And go!!!