The Physics Syllabus
This is a list of the commonest topics in the GAMSAT Physics syllabus, and the concepts you must know to tackle the Physics questions.
- Newton’s First Law of Motion
- Newton’s Second Law of Motion
- Newton’s Third Law of Motion
- Calculation of force on an inclined plane
- Friction force
- Understanding centripetal force and centripetal motion
- Calculating gravitational force between two masses
- Kinematic relationship between displacement, time, velocity and acceleration
- Graphical representation of linear motion, including displacement- time and velocity-time graphs
- Calculating projectile motion
- Relationship between angular displacement, velocity and acceleration
- Graphing rotational motion
Energy and Work
- Calculating work, power, potential and kinetic energy
- Calculating elastic force and potential
- Law of conservation of momentum
- Elastic and non-elastic collisions
- Calculating hydrostatic pressure
- Archimedes Principle
- Understanding surface tension and the difference between cohesive and adhesive forces
- Understanding liquid flow through various diameters
- Understanding and application of Bernoulli’s equation
- Coulomb’s force
- Calculating the electric field strength around an electrically charged source
- Calculating the electric potential of a charge in an electric field
- Ohms Law
- Understanding Series and Parallel Circuit
- Calculating current, voltage and resistance in the circuit
- Understanding polarity of magnets
- Understanding the mechanism of induction
- Understanding the relationship between polarity and direct current in an electromagnet
- Calculating the force on a current carrying wire in an external magnetic field
- Snell’s Law
- Spring oscillator and Pendulum
- Calculation of frequency and time period of simple harmonic motion
- Ray diagram
- Mirror and lens
- Object image height and distance relationship
- Object image and focal distance relationship
We’re going to pitch this article at those with little to no physics knowledge. We have researched the most commonly occurring physics questions and are providing simple definitions to get you started. You can use our articles as a reference and go off and find relevant questions to help your physics knowledge along, once you’re familiar with these definitions.
Basic Physics Knowledge for GAMSAT Questions
Momentum: The measure of the quantity of motion of an object. It is a product of its velocity and mass.
Energy: A property of objects which is transferable but can never be created nor destroyed. It can also be referred to as the ability to do work and can be broken down into two main types: potential and kinetic energy.
Power: How much work is being done and how fast it is being accomplished.
Current: How much electrical energy is transferred over a set period of time.
Torque : A rotational force which is formed from the components of distance and a unit of force.
Weight: You’d think that you would know everything about something as basic as weight, but in simple words, the actual definition is the force with which the center of the Earth attracts an object.
Pressure: Force as applied to one particular area.
Buoyant Force: It is the force that pushes a floating object upwards.
Resistors: Regulate the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.
Optics: The study of vision, light and refraction principles.